- Research Tools & Collections
Help & Services
Use Your Library
Help & Tutoring
- Study Spaces & Computers
- About the Library
- Ask Us
Oklahoma Digital Maps Collections
The Oklahoma Digital Maps Collections
The Oklahoma Digital Maps Collection contains over 9,200 images from the period 1803-1925.
The American State Papers contain the documents of Congress during the period from 1789 to the first volume of the U.S. Congressional Serial Set. Maps relating to the area including Indian Territory are included in this collection.
Between 1941 and 1968 the Army Map Service was responsible for the publication of military topographic maps for use by the U.S. military. Maps of various scales covering parts of Oklahoma are included in this collection. Maps of the Defense Mapping Agency, established in 1972, have been added to this group.
Starting with the 1803 Louisiana Purchase, the area comprising what more than a century later would become the state of Oklahoma, was mapped extensively. Between 1803 and 1925 more than 1,000 political, expedition, geographical, meteorological, and topographical maps of the Oklahoma region were produced and included in the American State Papers and the U.S. Congressional Serial Set.
Generous funding from the McCasland Foundation of Duncan, Oklahoma has made possible the digitization, display, and long-term physical and digital preservation of the maps found on the website.
Collection consists of maps of Oklahoma or Indian Territory published by the U.S. Government outside of the U.S. Congressional Serial Set and American State Papers. Also included are maps issued by the State of Oklahoma, its counties or cities or published by a commercial publisher that were not added into the Library of Congress G classification.
Collection includes the original Oklahoma and Indian Territory maps housed in the Map Room that were classified using the Library of Congress numbering system. The G4020, G4021, G4022, G4023, and G4024 groups include general maps, subject maps, regional and natural feature maps, county maps, and city and town maps.
Russal Brawley, a 1963 Civil Engineering alumnus from Oklahoma State University, donated 26 maps to the Edmon Low Library for inclusion in the digital maps collection. These maps are mostly depictions of Oklahoma and Indian Territory from 1827 to 1920.
The U. S. Geological Survey Map Collection dates from 1892 to the 1950's. Three hundred of the older maps produced by the U. S. Geological Survey during both the territorial and statehood time of Oklahoma and Indian Territory have been digitized. Names of towns, rivers and streams, railroads, schoolhouses, etc. are indicated in the map metadata.
During 1935 and 1936, the Works Progress Administration and the Oklahoma Tax Commission produced over 2,400 maps to determine the value of real estate.
The maps are arranged by county and indicate the owner of all the farmland in each county. Each map has the Township and Range indication and is normally a full 6 by 6 mile section. Names of towns, rivers, and railroads are indicated in the map metadata. Names of individual owners of land have not been added to the database.